Thursday, January 20, 2011

Waiting For Flo


When you're trying to get pregnant, Aunt Flo is the dreaded enemy. Every month you cross your fingers that she's spared you. Every day without a sign of her is a good day. And once you get pregnant you hope she stays the hell away. Because our pregnancy had such cryptic signs in the beginning I was constantly checking my underwear and toilet paper for a glimpse of Flo. I never spotted during my ill-fated pregnancy. Not once.

Today, things are different. Flo is like my long lost friend I've recently reconnected with on facebook. I am waiting for her arrival day after day after day. This time, she will have a long awaited homecoming. Imaginary streamers, balloons, and fireworks for Flo.

Although many people are not emotionally ready for awhile after a miscarriage, we are. We are so ready that we would start trying again today if it was doctor approved. Technically, we could get pregnant right now. But it's not advised. You should let your body recover, let the uterus shed what it needs to and allow the lining build back up (note: these are not actual medical facts - just what my brain processed at the midwife's office this morning). My midwife (and surgeon) both said we should wait a full cycle. As in... ovulate... get Flo... ovulate... get Flo... and THEN start trying. I balked at this instantly. I'm 37. My husband is about to be 44. We're no spring chickens. My midwife smiled and said we didn't have to wait a full cycle. She said it was O-K to start doing it after we got Flo.

So I wait... patiently...

PS. My two weeks of "nothing in vagina" is officially over. Hoorah for tampons once Flo shows up!

No comments:

Post a Comment