Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Be Trendy. Get Pregnant.



I have been fairly good about not being bitter since the loss of our pregnancy. Several of my close friends are currently pregnant with healthy babies on the way and I couldn't be happier for them. I look to them for inspiration. And as mommies-in-training who can shed some light on this whole motherhood thing once I get my shot at it.

However...

I just read on my People Mag iphone app about one celeb's "trendy" pregnancy and had an emotional gag reflex. Yes, in Hollywood there are about 10 gazillion pregnant women right now. And it's ALWAYS a headline in my app updates. At first, I really had a hard time reading about the women "due sometime this summer" because that was supposed to be me. But that doesn't hurt so much anymore. What really irked me was the use of trendy as if pregnancy is the new black. It seemed to demean the energy and effort that goes into baby-making and the fact that some of us can't just snap our fingers and get the latest trend for ourselves.

Maybe I am a little bitter. But only a little.

3 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY agree with you about those gross “pregnancy is trendy” headlines…not only is it not just a snap of the fingers for people to have the latest “trend”, but it completely ignores the fact that there is a life attached to this fad. After the fad is over, you have a person who you need to care for, love and nurture. It’s not like a hobo bag you can toss in the back of your closet until it becomes “retro”. SO ridiculous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jackie! GREAT point! Which just underscores why that adjective really bugged me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. It's trendy like a tattoo...cool right now, but you'd better be damned sure you really want one before you pull the trigger.

    ReplyDelete